Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10773/8978
Title: Laboratório Chimico da Universidade de Coimbra: interpretação histórica de um espaço de ensino e divulgação da ciência
Author: Pires, Catarina Pereira
Advisor: Malaquias, Isabel
Casaleiro, Pedro
Keywords: Educação em ciências
Laboratórios químicos - História - Universidade de Coimbra (Portugal)
História das ciências
Defense Date: 2006
Publisher: Universidade de Aveiro
Abstract: O Laboratório Chimico da Universidade de Coimbra é um belo edifício neoclássico, desenhado pelo tenente inglês Guilherme Elsden, construído no contexto da reforma iluminista, pelo Marquês de Pombal, que introduziu o ensino da ciência experimental na recém criada Faculdade de Filosofia, em 1772, mesmo antes do inicio da Revolução Química. É, provavelmente, um dos últimos laboratórios de Química, construído como um vasto edifício independente, a chegar aos nossos dias em boas condições de conservação. A sua estrutura principal, com um projecto centrado no forno e na ventilação, foi preservada apesar dos consideráveis trabalhos de modernização da década de 1880. Os vestígios encontrados durante os trabalhos arqueológicos confirmam o projecto original patente em diversos desenhos de arquitectura do século XVIII, e mostram a incorporação do vasto Refeitório jesuíta do século XVI. As alterações que sofreu durante mais de 200 anos de existência serão cobertos nesta apresentação – desde o projecto original, que serviu a Química do final do século XVIII, às maiores intervenções durante a segunda metade do século XIX. Alguns personagens e eventos serão ainda analisados no contexto da sua influência no desenvolvimento da ciência Química em Portugal, nomeadamente na Universidade de Coimbra.
The Laboratory of Chemistry of the University of Coimbra is a beautiful neoclassic building, designed by the english Lieutenant William Elsden, created during the enlightenment reform performed by the Marquis of Pombal, who introduced the teaching of experimental sciences in the newly created Faculty of Philosophy in 1772, rightly before the beginning of the Chemical Revolution. It is, problably, one of the last eigtheenth century chemistry laboratories, built as a vast independent building that arrived to our days in good preserved conditions. Its main structure with a design centred on the furnace and ventilation features, such as the high ceilings, was maintained despite the great modernizing works introduced in the 1880’s. The remains found during archaeological works confirm the original project as depicted in several eighteenth century architectural drawings and uncover the incorporation of the large Jesuit refectory room dated from the sixteenth century. The different changes the building suffered during more than 200 years of the existence will be covered in this presentation –from its original design, that served late eighteenth century chemistry, to the major interventions during the second half of the nineteenth century. Some personalities and events will also be analysed in the context of their influence in the development of chemical science in Portugal, namely at the University of Coimbra.
Description: Mestrado em Comunicação e Educação em Ciência
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10773/8978
Appears in Collections:DCSPT - Dissertações de mestrado
UA - Dissertações de mestrado

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
209477.pdf22.79 MBAdobe PDFView/Open


FacebookTwitterDeliciousLinkedInDiggGoogle BookmarksMySpace
Formato BibTex MendeleyEndnote Degois 

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.